Friday, July 2, 2010

You Look Healthy.

Ladies, you'll understand.  I had my annual exam on Thursday.  I scheduled it first thing in the morning - not because I can't think of a better way to start my day, but I'd rather just do it and move on. So I go to my appointment leaving my kids at home and frankly, I'm enjoying the time alone in the car on my way. I get there early enough to go get a cuppa joe and it's all good so far.

There are so many ways that these visits are unpleasant; you get weighed, you pee in a cup, you dress in paper towel gowns.  Oh, wait, they have CLOTH GOWNS?  Alright, alright, this is better.  Still, it's an annual exam.  My weight is down from last year? Cool, I'll take it.  And then I wait for the doctor to join me. I read an article with Michelle Obama talking about visiting the White House. La la la. And then he arrives.

My new doctor reduces me to laughter immediately.  He has an ease about him that I am instantly grateful for. He makes jokes, he cracks me up, basically dismissing my anxiety. Of course he asked about my breast cancer and if there were any changes to my medical history. Fine. But he spoke to me like I was just a normal woman patient. Somehow, he scrubbed that "Cancer Patient" tattoo off my forehead and I'm not sure he even knew he did it.  And then I got the biggest gift he could give me that day. 

Toward the end of my visit with him he looks at me and asks, "Do you work out? You look healthy, like you exercise. You look good and healthy."

Thank you for that Dr. D.

2 comments:

kama said...

me lovey Dr. D... and you!

Melissa823 said...

Beautiful.