Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How did we live before the internet?

Looking quickly at my day I honestly wonder how we got by back on the glorious 1980's. I was in high school, we didn't have cell phones. We didn't have email. We didn't have facebook. What did we do? Well, somehow we thought drinking wine coolers was fun.

Just today I used the internet to buy a holiday gift, sell some wares, touch base with friends from those "glory days" and read up on news items (including but not limited to what people will do as cosmetic surgery below-the-belt - seriously??!!). I also checked on the website for the Simsbury Relay for Life. An event that I am planning to be a part of. [In fact, I should be at the planning meeting but I can't do it online and I can't bear to wake up Bailey - he's exhausted.] I look at the weather, cancer treatments, support groups, alumni groups, I register the kids in rec programs. I get a lot done on this newfangled information highway.

When I remember the days of my youth - holy crap it's my 20th high school reunion this summer - now I am finding my friends from back then, many of us just catching onto things like facebook, and we are good. We have lives; spouses, kids, careers, accomplishments. It's become the preferred mode of communication for many of us. I think we all enjoy seeing familiar faces and that gives us a little taste of that time. Those days when we were so free and without the responsibilities of adulthood. Some feel that the internet has taken away from the personal touch of human communication, I think maybe it has just evolved. And I have to tell you, on a day like today or a week like this week, when an old buddy tells me that I look 'great and VERY happy' I'll take it. I hope I've made someone's day the same way. Here goes:

So do you old buddy. You look great, you grew up real nice and I am so proud of you.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love your blog, and your sense of humor. And, after having read the entire thing, your courage and strength and persistence and will and determination... LOVE YOU, JENN!