Monday, June 15, 2009

Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back.

The ostrich has moved on.

This past weekend was the ACS Relay For Life in Simsbury where we raised $84k! I was lucky enough to have a team of 20+ walking with me, selling cupcakes, bringing contraband to the field. It was a great day. We had sunshine, the kids were having a blast running around on the field collecting beads for the laps completed. The vibe on the field was amazing.

For me the highlights were the moments where I could speak to another survivor and either received comfort or give it. To know that someone understands where you're at is such a tremendous gift. To hear another cancer survivor say that they feel the things I feel makes me feel a little more normal.

That diagnosis was so devastating at first. It shifted my perspective and as a result I have added so much to my life. I know I appreciated my life before and I didn't need cancer to show me anything. I have new friends, deeper connections with the friends I had, and I know the depths of love that we share. Scars and radiation tattoos aside, in the wake of cancer I am stronger and smarter.

My weekend ended on a high note having big burgers at Plan B in town with Kev and the kids. Full bellies and sunshine.

1 comment:

Melissa823 said...

My name is Melissa. We met on cafe mom and found breast lumps at the same time. Mine was benign. I followed your story and couldn't stop checking back. I followed you from Cafe Mom to your blog. I think I posted a while back, but I'm just so happy you've beat this. I'm so happy your kids have their mom. And, I'm glad you're an example and encouragement to others who are fighting - really anything - in this world. May you and your family continue to be blessed!