Wednesday, June 9, 2010

If Every Hospital were Sloan Kettering…

  • We'd all have the very best cancer doctors available.
  • We'd all know what it means to have options for Follow Up and post treatment services.
  • We'd all feel like a person, not 'Patient Number x'.
  • We'd all get email reminders of appointments and after care seminars.
  • We'd all feel as confident in our treatment as I do.
Why do I love Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center?  The number 1 reason is that I believe my course in fighting breast cancer was righted by my MSKCC Surgeon.  She preserved more of me than my first surgeon intended to.  She is so intelligent, so caring and I am so lucky to have found her.

I didn't do it alone.  I reached out to a friend of my family who is another star at MSKCC and she directed me to the right surgeon. The. Right. Surgeon.

Why post this today?  I got a call with a 212 area code and I was wondering who it was. It was a social worker at MSKCC following up with me re: a simple email question about an upcoming seminar on Lymphedema. She began by apologizing for a week delay in her response and proceeded to answer all my questions.  The truth is that every time I reach out to MSKCC I am impressed.  My expectations are exceeded every time, and I have high expectations of everyone I deal with.

I urge you to seek out medical professionals who treat their patients with care and humanity, who are smart and have conversations with you about your care. What a difference it makes to share  the same philosophy about your approach with your doctors.

Now, the question is, since this quality of care Does exist, why isn't it the norm? How do we get there? If all our medical centers were MSKCC we would be in good health.  That's what you want - not just medical coverage, GOOD medical coverage.

No comments: